|Cooked with love for Aaron's birthday dinner...|
Other than beef stew, 'Chu Kiok' is one of my favourite dish to prepare during family pot-luck. Basically my recipe is a combination of recipe shared by a friend and my mum (using Hong Kong Mix ginger).
Bdw, this dish is one of the famous dishes during confinement. I only knew about this when I attended my friend's son fullmoon. He told me that it was prepared by a confinement lady that took care of his wife. I 'googled' for it and this is the info I get:-
"Black Vinegar purifies the blood, Old Ginger drives out wind, and Brown Sugar puts a check on "dampness". Pig's Trotters are said to provide collagen which is good for strengthening joints & lumbar. Sesame Seed Oil is also to promote blood circulation and the eggs for nourishment. This is a dish cooked for postnatal moms"...
Oh... no worries!! Whether confinement or not, we still can eat this anytime...
Let's check on the Ingredients.....
Pig's Trotters (approx 2kg)
1kg Old Ginger, skinned & smashed lightly
4 bulb of garlic
1 bottle (~4cups) sweetened Black Vinegar
Hong Kong Mix Ginger (1 bottle)
3-4 cups water
Half cup sweet dark soy sauce
3-4 tbsp oyster sauce.
|Hong Kong Mixed Ginger will gives a taste of sweetness to the dish. Substitute with *Rock sugar if you can't get it.|
1) Cut trotter into small sections. Rinse the pig trotter in clean. Remove all the hair carefully.
2) Boil water in a large pot and cook the pig trotter for 2-3 minutes. Transfer out and wash under running water. This process can help to remove the odd taste as much as possible.
|The purpose of blanching is to clean the meat from unwanted dirt. It also wash away some of the fats.|
3) In a pressure cooker, add all the garlic, ginger and Hong Kong ginger mix. Then, cover pig trotter with vinegar, water, and dark soy sauce.
|Ginger , Garlic, and Hong Kong Mix Ginger|
4) Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 1/2 an hour.
5) Add water and continue to simmer until soft & tender (approx. 2hrs)
*This dish tastes better upon standing for days!
*You may add hard boil eggs.
|After 2 hours cooked in pressure cooker|