I learnt to make Leche Flan from my Filipino's auntie since I was in primary school. If I am not mistaken, I was just 10 years old when I first make my very own Leche Flan. The original recipe that my aunt had taught me was just using few simple ingredients. All I need are granulated white sugar, a dozen of eggs and a can of evaporated milk. I've been using the same recipe for years until today... No worries, it is still one of the easiest custard dessert ever; just substitute sugar with condensed milk and walla.....
- granulated white sugar (for caramel sauce)
- 8 nos of eggs (whole eggs. I'm using grade A)
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- half can of condensed milk
- pure vanilla extract
- Place all the eggs in a big bowl then gently stir them using a fork or egg beater.
- Add condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
- Add evaporated milk and mix well
- Add vanilla extract.
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 sugar and water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and stir until it caramelized. Quickly pour the caramel in a mold until it evenly covered on bottom. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the eggs mixture into the mold.
- Steam in low heat for 45mins to 1 hour. The size and thickness of the mold affect cooking time. Make sure the water in the steamer is boiling..
- Set flan mold aside to cool..
- Unmold the flan by simply run a knife around the sides.
|Mix whole eggs and evaporated milk|
|The not-so-perfect Leche Flan.... but yummy guaranteed!|
* All images are taken using smartphone's camera